1. Don't criticize, condemn or complain. Never be rude or insulting.
2. Give honest, sincere appreciation.
3. Arouse in the other person an eager want. Remember to keep in touch with friends, and family, it will be appreciated.
4. Become genuinely interested in other people.
5. Smile when you see people you recognize. As you walk through the office, down the hallway, etc., you may realize that it's a natural reaction to look at something else or do something with your hands rather than acknowledge a new acquaintance. Try your best to look in their direction and give them a warm smile to let them know you care.
6. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
7. Talk in terms of the other person's interest.
8. Make the other person feel important - and do so sincerely.
9. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.